Well-Being is Your BirthrightSimple Techniques to Enrich Your Life
Well-being is the basis of life for all creation. There are some simple things we can do every day to enrich the quality of our lives and overall well-being. I am going to share four techniques that can change your life no matter where you are right now. These techniques are being taught to our caregivers to aid them in the quality of their own life and also to help our elderly clients. I am expecting to see some breakthrough in the area of those with dementia as we implement these simple techniques in their every day lives. It is my firm hope and belief that these techniques will help them as they struggle with anxiety and confusion.
So many times we forget that inside of us lies energy and power for our well-being. We can access that power through simple deep breathing exercises.
- Take a deep breath inhaling through your nose, expanding the belly, then filling your chest and count to five.
- Exhale from your slightly parted lips counting to five.
It is important to do these breathing exercises twice a day. Set aside two 10-minute sessions for deep breathing that will definitely change your life for the better. You deserve to feel good.
Benefits of breathing deeply:
- Breathing effectively will release 70% of toxins from the body that could lead to illness. When the air is exhaled from the body, carbon dioxide is released. Carbon dioxide is a natural waste of the body’s metabolism.
- Breathing releases tension. When one feels angry, scared or stressed which is how so many of our elderly clients with dementia feel during sun-downing, the body constricts. Breathing deeply as described above will release the muscles and bring peace to the entire body.
- Breathing relieves emotional problems as the oxygenation of the brain reduces excessive anxiety levels.
- Breathing relieves pain which is so beneficial for elderly folks who have just had hip replacement or suffer from bad knees, arthritis, etc.
- Breathing massages the organs of the body and improves circulation while strengthening and toning the abdominal muscles.
- Breathing increases muscle through the supply of oxygen to the brain.
- Breathing improves the immune system as oxygen travels throughout the bloodstream attaching to hemoglobin in the red blood cells.
- Breathing improves the nervous system such as the brain and spinal cord which nourishes the whole body and will improve the health of the entire body.
- Breathing makes the heart stronger as deep breathing reduces the work load on the heart by more efficient lungs and more oxygen in the body.
- Proper breathing will help in losing weight as the extra oxygen burns up excess fat more efficiently. If you are underweight, the extra oxygen will feed the starving tissues and glands.
- Breathing will put you in a better mood as deep breathing increases pleasure inducing neurochemicals in the brain which will elevate moods and fight physical pain.
Positive thinking will cause you to attract more positive things in your like. The law of attraction teaches us that like attracts like. There will be times in our life when we face adversity, however, when we train our minds to look at a positive angle versus a negative angle, we will bring ourselves to a place of peace much sooner.
It is my hope and belief that by training our caregivers to adapt a lifestyle of positive thinking they will be able to assist our elderly clients find peace themselves. When an elderly person with dementia is exhibiting anxiety, anger or any negative emotion, or an elderly person is experiencing pain in their bodies, it is difficult for them to find a positive, feel good thought. Our caregivers who are trained in well-being will speak gently a positive word of kindness and encourage them to break deeply until calmness is upon them. This may take some time but with constant use of this practice, the peace will manifest.
Dr. Masaru Emoto from Japan did some experiments to demonstrate the power of positive and negative thinking. He put cooked rice in two sealed jars and labeled one “thank you” and the other “you fool”. He instructed the children at the school to say out loud the labels on the jar every time they walked by them for thirty days. After thirty days the thank you jar had barely changed while the fool you jar was moldy and rotten.
It will take some effort to create a positive mindset, however, the benefits are well worth the effort and time. One may have a hard time at first with positive thinking but you can speak words of positive affirmation that will be stored in your sub-conscious level. Over time these positive mindsets will become a way of life. Once you see the well-being of positive thinking, you will make the effort to catch yourself from thinking negative thoughts and using negative words.
Benefits of Positive Thinking
- Longer, healthy lifespan
- Less stress
- Peace and clarity
- Better resistance to common colds
- Better coping skills
Our bodies are made up of 70% water. As we output water, we must intake to replace what we lose in order to stay hydrated. So many of our elderly clients suffer from dehydration which adds to the symptoms of dementia and other health related issues. Once you begin to drink water, you will develop a desire to drink more of the clear, smooth liquid. Other drinks will not be as refreshing. I believe if we give our elderly clients sips of water throughout the day, they will eventually want more and get used to the refreshing liquid on their lips.
Benefits of Drinking Water
- Helps the skin stay young and smooth
- Can help control calories
- energizes the muscles
- Maintains normal bowel function
- Improves memory – The brain is 85% fluid
Why The Brain Needs Water
- Brains must have water for electrical energy so that it can function and process thought and memory.
- If the brain has its full water supply, you will think faster and experience greater clarity and be more creative.
- The brain has no way to store water. Drinking water throughout the day will cause optimal brain function.
- When the brain drops 2 percent in body wter, one may suffer some short-term memory loss.
- Dehydration is a known factor in causing dementia. Proper hydration may help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s Parkinson’s and Lou Gehrig’s disease.
- Water delivers nutrients to the brain and removes toxins, thus ensuring better concentration and alertness.
Fifteen minutes spent in meditation each day is a great way to reduce stress and bring about a positive lifestyle. By setting aside this quiet time every morning to listen to light music and focus on your breathing, you will soon begin to feel better about your life. If you find your mind wandering, and it will, just stop and focus again on your breathing.
I believe this meditation approach added to the other above ingredients will make for a harmonious day. Practicing these simple steps will result in a positive outlook lifestyle every day for the rest of your life. I am certain our elderly clients will enjoy some light music with their caregivers as they meditate together. This will enhance their relationship.
Benefits of Daily Meditation
- As you learn to open your crown chakra through daily meditation, it will allow energy into your whole body. The energy will cleanse your nerves and give you more power to last throughout the day without feeling drained.
- Help you sleep better with no stress in your life as you learn to let go and go with the flow of life.
- Raises your awareness level to your mood and the way you are feeling. Once you are aware of a negative vibe, you can quickly change it to a positive thought or affirmation.
- Improve your focus. As you learn to focus on your breathing, you will also be able to focus on other things of importance in your life.
- Improves your patience. As you sit still and are patient for fifteen minutes, it will help you to be patient in all areas of your life. You will wait in peace for whatever you are wanting. It will help you be patient with the elderly clients you are working with.
The Power of Silent Thought
“The greatest force is derived from the power of thought. The finer the element, the more powerful it is. After all, if what you have been doing is not working, try something new. Doing the same thing that does not work will continue to bring negative results. The universe is a cobweb; minds are spiders.” -Swani Vivekananda
“What would the world be like if we were all living the good life?” -Andrew Young
I thought for years that words had more power than thought, but just the opposite is true. Though it is important to speak words that have a positive vibration, it is even more important to think thoughts that are positive vibrations. It is the thought that connects to the universe to attract to you what you think or desire. You get what you think about whether you want it or not. The law of attraction is a universal law, much like gravity.
If you wish to raise your vibration to a higher level, it is important to think thoughts that make you feel good. You may need to speak positive affirmations until your subconscious mind is full of positive thoughts in its memory bank. Once those positive thoughts are stored, the easier it will be to think positive thoughts and to attract good things in your life.
This will take some discipline on your part and you may need to refrain from over use of alcohol or narcotics, especially in the beginning and maybe throughout your time on earth. It will be helpful to read uplifting and inspirational books, attend a meditation workshop or sign up for yoga. Exercise and deep breathing exercises will promote a positive mind set as well. Fifteen minutes of meditation per day, preferably in the morning will help you still your thoughts and gain patience. I highly recommend an Esther Hicks / Abraham Hicks guided meditation.
If you find yourself thinking on a negative that brings you down, stop yourself at once and begin thinking on something that makes you feel good. If you hold the same thought for only seventeen seconds, another thought like it will come. It will not take long before you start to feel better and better. The better you feel, the better your life will be. The same is true if you hold a negative thought for seventeen seconds, another ugly one will soon follow and you will feel despair, but remember you are the captain of your vessel and you have the power to control your thoughts. I believe it is our birthright to have a happy and joyful life on physical earth, each one of us, no exceptions.
If you change negative thoughts to positive thoughts, your life will surely change. Universal laws are set in place and they cannot change.
It is important to be open to new ways of learning and growing. As long as what you hear feels good, kind and positive, be open to it. After all, what you have been doing is not working, so why keep doing the same old thing that keeps giving you the same negative results and low vibrations.
Lastly, remember life is supposed to feel good. Be kind to you, do not condemn you, do not feel as if you do not fit in, but rather know you are here on this earth at this time for a specific purpose. Ask God/Universe/Infinite Intelligence/Life Force what that purpose is and to help you achieve a great life full of joy, love, kindness, wealth, health and all that is good. You are guaranteed an answer with every question you ask; be patient for the answer to come.
What would the world be like if we are all living the good life? It is surely possible; let us inspire one another and do good. I look in the mirror and sing to myself, “you’re some kind of wonderful” most every morning. You are some kind of wonderful too!